Friday, April 29, 2005

"lost my wife and kids..."

There was a man stumbling from the train station yesterday evening. He fell against a wall, held onto it for support. Thought about asking if he needed any help, but I've seen lots of people who can't walk properly around here so thought it might be some disability and he might take offence or something. Looked over my shoulder as I walked by to check he was OK.

"Can you help me" he calls out; he wants help to cross the road. "Sure" I say, why not? I took his arm, he grasped my hand tightly - it surprised me how strong his grip was as he'd looked so frail. At the crossing of the main road he made drunken small-talk; so he was 'just a drunk' after all. "How am I?" "Good thanks." "Of course you are." [crossing the road] "How are you?" "Terrible." [slurs something that was probably "got no job"]. "Lost my wife and kids." Before or after the drink? the cynic inside silently questions.

Having crossed the road safely he wanted me to walk him further down the street. "I'm going that way" I lie, pointing in the opposite direction to any direction that someone who's just walked the way out of the station that I had would be going. "Oh" sounding a little down, "well thanks anyway" earnestly. Shakes my hand, wishes me a good day. "Be safe" I wish him.

I walk away, don't look back. Just another day in Paradise.

0 replies:

Post a Comment