Sunday, April 03, 2005

Jazz Night

Thursday night is Jazz night at the pub down the road. Jazz always reminds me of Sesamie Street or Monster's Inc. or that car advert (although I'm not sure for which car), but that's neither here nor there.

My dad always tries to go as often as he can, making himself a Thursday night regular. I try and go with him whenever I can, mainly because I don't like the thought of him sat at the end of the bar on his own like a sad loner even though there's plenty of other sad old loners there to keep him company. Sometimes the bands are pretty decent too, although when they're not it can be painful to my ears.

Last Thurs the band played a pretty good set though. My dad had invited my uncle along, who came with my 2 boy cousins and some guy from SA who the youngest boy cousin had met at some Christian holiday camp over easter. Walking back from the pub somehow my cousins and this guy started talking about Christianity and the guy from SA started telling of how he'd been talking to some Muslims who had said that Allah was the same god as the Christian god; to which SA guy apparently rebuked [like my use of biblical words here?!] them saying that the christian God is all loving a forgiving yada-yada-yada god, where as Muslims fear their Allah - so how can they be the same? What a load of bollox. I really do worry about my cousins sometimes if this is the sort of division-creating crap they think sounds good.

This guy was also wearing a star of David around his neck, which made me think he was Jewish when I first me him (they've not quite made it over into the mindless-fashion-ohh-that-looks-pretty domain that Crosses have). But after hearing this conversation it got me thinking that maybe this was some sort of political statement about Isreal and Palastine? Who knows.

1 replies:

Blogger tomirose said...

Intresting...I wonder if it's because a lot of people here wouldn't be able to spell Philosopher, much less say it:) Thanks for posting.
As to the conversation re: Allah vs. the Christian God, I wish I had some amazing reply...seeing how I profess to be a follower of Jesus, but alas apologetics have never been my strong suite.

04 April, 2005 02:09  

Post a Comment