Thursday, February 10, 2005

Company Weekend (Part 2) {8535}

... I belive that what it would have told me, had I heard it, was "Thenext train to approach on this platform is not the one you want. Also, you're on the wrong platform for the one you do want, dumb-a##."

[10:50] I get onto thetube. The next stop [10:53] is not the stop I was expecting had Ibeen on the correct line. Looking at my handy tube map I see that Ican change at the next stop, get on the Northern Line south back toLondon Bridge (where I started almost an hour earlier) then getanother tube to Waterloo (near the meeting place). I get to London Bridge in a couple of minutes, run accross to the next platform I needfor the Jubilee Line, dodging old ladies and small kids with almost expert skill.

[10:57] on the Jubilee Line platform at London Bridge
[10:58] the train comes. I know it's going to be tight, should really ring Rory (HR Manager) but, being underground (in the Underground you see) phones don't tend to work too well.

It's [11:02] when I'm above ground at Waterloo. I ring Rory. He'sdriving already. Sht.

"We're on our way now" he says, as I attempt to blurt out myout-of-breath excuses. While I was rushing accross London, he and theother partners were sat comfortably in a cafe.

After that the journey down to Bournmouth, where the Company Weekend was held, was fairly uneventful. One of our convoy got lost and westopped for petrol once; that was about all. When we got to the hotel, we did what people do when they get to a hotel. We checked in. Some rooms were'nt ready as we were early. Mine was, the big French boss's wasn't; which I thought was good. When I got to my room on the top floor, I thought it was the besthotel room I'd ever seen. It wasnt very big, but it had a sea view,en-suite bathroom, TV, double bed, tea and coffee stuff, biscuits, fridge.

My bathroom was really long and also had a sea view - it was just anormal window. Also the loo was under the window, right oppposite thesink and mirror, so going to the toilet could be quite a publicexperiance if anyone cared to look up with a pair of binoculars.

However, as impressive as my room was, I was to discover that it was nothing compared to some of the others...

0 replies:

Post a Comment