Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Saturday

Thought I'd tell you about my "adventures" at the weekend. Saturday I set myself the task of buying a book from Waterstones and a CD from HMV on Oxford Street. Not too difficult I hear you cry... but I have to find my way from London Victoria to Oxford Street without the aid of the Underground. It's not really that difficult, and quite a nice walk on a nice day. Down Buckingham Palace Rd, cut through Green Park to Piccadilly, follow Piccadilly to Piccadilly Circus and then up Regent Street to Oxford Circus and there you are on Oxford Street.

I made the mistake of missing out Green Park and going up some other road instead, adding about 10 mins to my journey and taking me through the squares Trafalgar and Leicester, but that was OK.

When I got to Oxford Street I found Waterstones first. They've got a "signed by the author" wall there where all the books have been signed, which I thought was pretty cool so I got my mom a signed copy of The Understudy, by David Nicholls. You can tell he's not been an author for long as his autograph is still legible. Not sure why I bought it her really, guess I was just in a giving mood! I then picked up the book I was after - Cloud Atlas - and as both books had "3 for 2" stickers on them I hunted around for my "free" book.

I settled on Fight Club in the end as I'd almost bought it the last 2 times I went book shopping (which is every weekend lately!), saving me £6.99.

Next it was on to HMV. Despite having passed at least 2 other music shops on the way to Oxford Street my mission was to get the CD I wanted (the Kaiser Chiefs one) from here. This was mainly for nostalgia really, as the first/last time I'd been here was when I was 17 on a kinda date with a girl the first/last time I saw her. (no it wasn't really that bad a date, OK it wasn't great but I'm sure thats not the reason I've not seen her since...) Anyway I found Kaiser Chiefs and also picked up a CD of Damian Rice b-sides on sale. Looking around the rest of the store I stumbled across the books section and found, to my horror, that they had Fight Club for only £3! So I'd just wasted my "free" book on a book that was really cheap anyway :o( It had a different cover, but as you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover I guess you shouldn't buy one by it either.

Anyway, my mission was complete on Oxford Street so I set off back to Victoria (the right way this time), stopping off to spend the £4 (and then some) I'd saved from not using the Tube at Burger King [not that there was a Tube at burger king I could have used, unless I mean "straw". Really should do something about the mischevious commas in that last sentence.]

I then hatched a cunning and devious plan....

[Coming Soon: Sunday]

0 replies:

Post a Comment