Thursday, August 18, 2005

my Fitness Test

I had my first "Fitness Test" at my gym last night and thought I'd share the results. Maybe not as interesting as getting A-level results today but better than nothing...

Blood Pressure: 132/76
Weight: 61.2 Kg
Height: 5' 9"
Body Fat: 4.6%
Body Mass Index: 20.47
Cardio (5 minutes walk at 6.5 KM/Hr, various inclines): 48.1 - "Very Good"
Flexibility: 14 cm

Mean anything to you? It means nothing to me really! Apparently my body fat % was the lowest he'd ever seen. Some people would kill for a % like that he said. He warned me off endurance sports and "survival situations" though - apparently my body would just start eating my internal organs as I don't have enough fat to last. Nice. He did say I'd be good at mid- to long-distance running for some reason, something to do with my height-to-weight ratio. Thought I'd be good at Marathons but I think he must really have mean Snickers'.

I thought the fitness test would involve "putting me thought my paces", although the only physical activity was the 5 minutes walking for the cardio. The most stressful activity was having to stand on the cold metal plates of the body fat %age machine - it sends electrical pulses up through your body! Apparently my cardio rating was "in the top 3" that he's seen lately (although he said he never sees the proper athletes as they sort it all out for themselves). "Very Good" is the second highest bracket - the next is "Elite"! I bet you never imagined I was so fit. Or maybe it's just that the tests are designed for fat people who what to get thin, rather than people "naturally gifted" (his words) like me.

I went swimming this morning though (remembered the padlock) and I have to say I've not felt so un-fit in ages! I couldn't swim more than 60 meters without needing a quick rest, and I kept swallowing water. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose.

0 replies:

Post a Comment