Thursday, August 04, 2005

"It must be a Thursday, I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

High visibility Police jackets were everywhere this morning. Always in pairs or more; I counted at least 6 at East Croydon station alone and then when I got into London Bridge I was almost blinded by the masses of florescent bobbies everywhere. The usual morning pep-talk from our train driver was slightly different too. "Un-attended luggage WILL be removed and MAY be destroyed" instead of "May be removed and may be destroyed". A small change but a big difference. Off the train, the police were even giving out leaflets, although I can only guess what about as I didn't get one. The police were there to reassure rather than protect. After all, how could they possibly protect everyone? Or anyone for that matter.

Later on in the morning my heart skipped a beat as the red BBC News Alert appeared ominously in the bottom right corner of my monitor. It was four weeks ago today that I installed the program to get reports as the terrible truths of that day unfolded. The news report window finally appeared - it was OK, something about some guy in India being given the death sentence. The next news story worthy of being pushed onto my desk-top was of a statement by Al-Qeada's #2 Crazy. Not worthy of going into here.

So far the pattern (Thursday 1 - attacks at morning rush-hour; Thursday 2 - nothing but The Silence; Thursday 3 - attempted attacks at lunch-time...) has not been followed today. PM rush-hour is almost though and nothing has happened of note. Maybe they are still trying to work out how to make bombs that work. I suppose the day is still not over yet though.

0 replies:

Post a Comment