Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Company Weekend (part 1) {8534}

Hello,

Thought I'd split my weekend tales into installments so that 1) I'll have time and 2) you won't get so bored reading one long mail (although you may get bored for shorter periods of time more often, so maybe it's not as good for you).

Anyway, I'll start on Saturday morning. We were all supposed to meet up somewhere near the office with our drivers at 11am sharp, nolate-comers please. However if we wanted to go for breakfast we couldmeet at 10am. I didn't really fancy breakfast at somegreasy-spoon so I set out to get to the station near the office atabout half-ten. However being worried I might be late and p##s everyone off (including 1 company director, the HR manager and a group director from Head Office in Paris), I left in some contingency.

Slightly too much as it happend as I got to London Bridge (the trainstation near my office) for 10am with a fair bit of time to kill. As I'd neveractually seen "London Bridge" (the bridge, not the station, that somedopey Americans bought because the wanted "something English" notrealising that its just a plain old traffic bridge and not the world famous "Tower Bridge") I thought I'd have a look while I had some spare time.

When I got to the bridge it was too tempting to resist actuallywalking over it, towards the City of London (where all the poshbuildings are). Once in the city I caught sight of the Swiss Re building (aka The Ghurkin) which recently won a big architecture prize. As it's probably one of the coolest buildings in London, I thought I'd set off on an expedition to find it. The problem was that it kept drifting from view as I turned this corner and that (I couldn't see the buildings for the city, as it were). When I eventually caught up with it I had time to just about walk around it before setting off again to the meeting place. Then I walked a little way down the road and saw the Lloyds building briefly before setting off to find a tube station. By now [10:40] I didn't really have a clue as to where I was, so I did what I always do when lost in London - walked along a main-looking road until I saw signs to a tube station. I found the first station farily easily.

It was closed. The sign on the door suggested I try a station down the road, which is what I did [10:46]. This seemed to be one of the older underground stations, so it didn't have signs telling people whattrains actually stopped at the platform, which was useful. There was an anouncement over the tannoy as I got onto the platform, but I had my MP3 player playing so didn't make it out....."

0 replies:

Post a Comment