Friday, July 01, 2005

Coldplay! (part 2)

Where was I?  Oh yes...
 
So that's just one example of the bourgeois audience that was there.  It was a very middle class audience, though I'm not sure what I expected from Coldplay.  I left Supergrass just before they finished as I needed the little boys room.  The little boys room was also servicing several little girls who didn't want to queue for their own room.  After I fought my way back to where I'd left my sister, only to see catch sight of her leaving as I'd almost reached the spot we where.  She was about 5 meters ahead of me with what seemed like a million people in between.  I changed direction and gave chase after her, a seemingly impossible task amongst the masses between us.  Eventually we got onto the walkway where it was suitably easier to walk.  I reached out my arm over the shoulders of the few remaining people between us, missed tapping her shoulder by an inch and got some strange looks from those in between us.  My second attempt at making contact suceded though.
 
It was her turn to go to the loo.  While she waited in the queue for the real little girls room I hung around outside by an Oxfam Make Trade Fair stall.  They were getting people to sign up for the campaign in return for a key-ring and a skin transfer of the Make Trade Fair logo like what Chris Martin always has on his hand whenever he plays gigs.  Of course I didn't really want a key-ring, but the logo was too good to pass up.  Also brought back fond memories of when Kelly won a bath at Glasto last year (though she turned it down) when we all entered a raffle to raise money for the campaign.  I was just getting logo-ed by a cute posh girl, about to ask her about Glastonbury (she had a wrist-band on) when my sister came out the girls' room.
 
The next stage was to wait for my sister's boyfriend.  Eventually he got there, just after the very first Coldplay song had started.  We had no chance of getting to the great spot we'd had for Supergrass, so were stood further back and to the left.  After a while I was so absorbed in it all that it didn't matter too much.  I could see the stage and the little people dancing about on it (well, it's only really Chris Martin that moves around on stage).  It was really good, sometimes with a band as mellow as Coldplay you think seeing them live will be a bit boring, but it wasn't.  They has a small tribute to Richard Whitely - "We sure are gonna miss Countdown in the afternoon" inserted into one of their songs about clocks. 
 
Chris Martin's a bit cheesy though, always saying how great it is to be playing for everyone.  Said he though Supergrass were still the worlds greatest band, after which my sister's boyfriend pointed out that if that was the case they why aren't Coldplay supporting them, not the other way round?  Aside from that it was All Good.  And it didn't rain either, which was lucky as the following night's gig was accompanied by a thunderstorm!
 
The End

0 replies:

Post a Comment